Interest in ITS comes from the problems caused by traffic congestion and a synergy of new information technology for simulation, real-time control, and communications networks. Traffic congestion has been increasing worldwide as a result of increased motorization, urbanization, population growth, and changes in population density. Congestion reduces efficiency of transportation infrastructure and increases travel time, air pollution, and fuel consumption.
The invention relates to an intelligent traffic light control system comprising a microcontroller, an enforced switching device and an intelligent detecting device, wherein the microcontroller is used for controlling traffic lights, , the enforced switching device is used for carrying a preferentially direct operation. The control system can automatically adjust the traffic light control parameters according to the changes of traffic flow in different directions, thereby increasing the traffic efficiency of intersection of roads and achieving a best control for traffic.
The Parts of the system:
- Input from Sensors:
The system will keep on sensing environment data for detecting vehicles. As soon as it detects vehicles it will make some computations with respect to its current status and make decision accordingly. Some IR sensors have been used to detect presence of the objects i.e. cars.
- Micro Controller:
We will use 8051 micro controller to build the logic.
- Output: LEDs for signal lights:
Ultimately the system will give output by making LEDs of signals ON/OFF.
Hardware Block Diagram:
We will use 8051 microcontroller to build this system.
The 8051 architecture provides many functions (CPU, RAM, ROM, I/O, interrupt logic, timer, etc.) in a single package
- 8-bit ALU, Accumulator and 8-bit Registers; hence it is an 8-bit microcontroller
- 8-bit data bus – It can access 8 bits of data in one operation
- 16-bit address bus – It can access 216 memory locations – 64 KB (65536 locations) each of RAM and ROM
- On-chip RAM – 128 bytes (data memory)
- On-chip ROM – 4 Kbyte (program memory)
- Four byte bi-directional input/output port
- UART (serial port)
- Two 16-bit Counter/timers
- Two-level interrupt priority
- Power saving mode (on some derivatives)
Programming Language: Embedded C
Sensors: Passive IR Sensors by Sharp.
Output: Display status on LCD. If obstacle found raise alarm on Buzzer.
- Take data from IR sensors.
- Wait till get valid data and make all signals red.
- If receives data from any sensors follow step 4.
- Check the other signals state. If all are free then follow step 5 else got to step 6.
- Make all other signals wait and recent one green. Delay. Go to step 2.
- Add request in queue. Wait till others will get free. Show STOP signal to current request. Go to step 2.